Community Outreach Specialist
The HD Reach Community Outreach Specialist is a full-time position responsible for developing and implementing effective strategies for reaching out to medically underserved individuals impacted by Huntington’s disease in North Carolina. You will identify people impacted by HD, learn barriers to accessing knowledgeable care and develop strategies for engagement. You will develop relationships with influencers and collaborate to share messages. You will be creative and innovative in your use of communication tools for developing tailored messages through a mix of media channels resulting in individuals understanding effective care is available to meet the complex needs of HD patients and their families.
HD Reach was founded in Raleigh, North Carolina and has developed relationships with HD patients and their families and strong partnerships within the medical community in North Carolina. Your role will include collaborating with HD Medical Centers to increase interest and access to care. You will participate in training opportunities to learn the characteristics of HD and the clinical and research opportunities at Duke University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, along with independent neurologists.
The person who is successful in this role will have high emotional intelligence, a strong sense of compassion, curiosity, and the ability to work with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and circumstances without forming judgements.
The HD Reach Community Outreach Specialist will report directly to the Executive Director.
Design, plan, and manage integrated outreach programs across multiple media channels to reach medically underserved communities
Identify the right media outlet and content to create messages for people of different backgrounds. Collaborate with social workers, medical professionals, and other advocacy groups on content creation, and execute strategies to increase engagement.
Execute targeted outreach interviews to build trust and ascertain family networks.
Be vigilant of new opportunities by monitoring HD related news coverage.
Organize and lead the Family Advisory Board to create a trained group of influencers conducting outreach in their communities.
Work closely with other social workers to support client engagement and help families navigate the journey from first contact to medical care.
Assist with generating website content, future redesign, or re-platforming projects.
Brainstorm and assist in planning creative, interactive, educational events (in-person, hybrid, webinars)
Conduct needs assessments, track and report on program metrics,to determine effectiveness and optimize efforts accordingly.
Cultivate relationships with HD medical practices and community assistance organizations for referrals.
Serve on HD advocacy related committees to advocate for multi-disciplinary services to care for everyone in an HD family.
Participation in working groups, community coalitions and advocacy groups is encouraged.
- Bachelor’s degree in health education, public health, social work, marketing, communications, journalism, or behavioral health sciences field, or other related field.
- 2 or more years of experience in a social service, public health, or healthcare related field.
- Innovative - constantly focused on improving, growing, and devising new ways to connect and engage with HD families from a variety of backgrounds and circumstances.
- High levels of compassion and understanding of vulnerable populations and people with complex health needs.
- Knowledge of HD health disparities and/or general health disparities.
- Understanding of trauma informed care.
- Skilled communicator with the ability to work cross-functionally to communicate concepts that resonate with a variety of audiences.
- Ability to maintain confidential information according to HIPAA and ethical standards.
- Work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Exercise mature judgement, highly motivated, self-starting, and proactive.
- Enjoy problem solving in real time, resourceful, dependable, and organized.
- Be able and willing to work flexible hours which may include evenings or weekends.
- Experience with Microsoft Office required.
- Experience with Salesforce or other contact relationship management system preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively deliver messages, information, and ideas based on the needs of the audience.
- Interviewing and active listening skills for developing nuanced understandings and forming relationships.
- Proof of vaccination is required, according to CDC guidelines and NC Dept of Health and Human Services recommendations for healthcare providers.
- Valid driver’s license and auto liability insurance required.
HD REACH WILL PROVIDE:
Salary in the range of $70,000-$75,000 and a $5,000 health care annual stipend.
Two weeks of PTO and sick leave.
Friendly, solution-oriented work environment.
Rewarding work that will be challenging and allow you to gain expertise.
On-going training opportunities
Preferred: Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC area. HD Reach operates as an Office-Without-Walls allowing employees to work in their preferred environment. This role will also require meeting clients at medical centers and other locations in the field.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com